What are the sites (and magazines) on which you advertise doing for your dollars?
Are they working hard to bring traffic to their site and in turn to your site?
Are they building their business so that their site (or magazine) grows and in turn bring you attention?
Are they networking? Attending conferences? Keeping up, or going beyond, the trend?
Do they advertise anywhere? Or invest in SEO?
In the earlier years of the world wide web (the 90’s) and blogs (2000’s), advertisers could get by with less promotion on their end. But the game has changed. More sites, more competitors, more places to advertise. It’s easy to send your money to an advertiser, but don’t get lost in a sea of passivity.
Look to see if the places you advertise do the following:
- Invest in their own web updates
- Invest in a search engine optimization
- Attend national conferences
- Engage with people online in social media
- Network locally and/or nationally (this one is KEY and one that I don’t see often enough)
- Exhibit at bridal shows or advertise online
Advertisers can definitely get away with NOT doing these things. A top google ranked site doesn’t have to do much more. But I want to know that if I am pouring money into promotion on a site or in a magazine that that media source is doing everything to grow their network.