Ahhhhh… marketing… fun, slick, glamorous, shiny… images of Mad Men come to my mind…
Marketing is defined as the process or technique of promoting, selling, and distributing a product or service. Over the week, we’ll break this down with how it relates to your wedding related service or product. First up: Promoting!
Promoting: What is your Promotion Strategy and how successful is it in bringing returns?
Many wedding related businesses advertise across a wide range of print and web media. Given the social nature of our industry, networking and public relations, are also key. But, what are those marketing methods bringing in terms of business?
Here are some questions you can ask to determine the effectiveness:
- How do clients find you?
- What is your best method of promotion? (The one that leads to the greatest amount of revenue.)
- Are you spending money on advertising that does not benefit your business?
- How many clients who contact you make an appointment?
- How many clients who contact you place an order?
Not so sure on some of these? For the next month, try this:
- Make a sheet (spreadsheets are awesome, but pen and paper work too) that lists 4 columns:
- client inquiry
- Client Inquiry Column: Keep a list of every client that phones or emails you – note the date and their contact information
- Referral Column: In your first conversation, ask them how they found you (ad, client, other vendor, etc)
- Appointment: When they book their appointment – make an X under “appointment”
- Order: When they place an order – make an X under “order”
Keep working this tracking sheet until you have a firm understanding of your return on promotional investment. You may find your wasting money on promotional efforts that don’t lead to any rewards. And, you may learn that you are not maximizing certain promotional tools. Rethinking your marketing and promotional plan can be a money maker and a money saver.