If you’ve been following along for the last few weeks, we uncovered the 13-Step Business Plan… and what fun it was! You may have only been reading along… or maybe even writing along… whatever the case, the business plan is a constantly evolving organism. Your business plan should live and breathe, much like a living thing. These are my recommendations for making sure you are breathing life into your plan on a constant basis:
- Set a monthly or twice monthly date to spend a few hours on your business plan. Rewrite and revise the plan as your business changes.
- Find a planning partner and meet up for coffee to work on your plans routinely.
- Do this little by little. Take one piece and work on a piece each week.
- Take “perfection” out of your vocabulary. Strive for excellence in your plan, not perfection. Perfection is unattainable and it will cause you to procrastinate.
- Have someone else read your plan. Do they understand your business? What recommendations do they have?
- Read this post from Sean Low. In it, he discusses the practice of journaling about your business daily. “The journal will keep you in touch with what is confronting you and your business today” Sean says. It’s a great way to work on your business strategy between planning sessions.
Come back tomorrow…
I’ll have all 13 steps on an easy-to-download pdf.